Old 17-10-2006, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Basia Kulesz Basia Kulesz is offline

Default Felling weeping willow

Uzytkownik "perrancott" napisal w wiadomosci
ups.com...
I asked this question yesterday and the responses, while interesting,
were not answers to my question so I will repeat it..

If a weeping willow is cut down will it send out new shoots and, if it
does, will they weep or will they be straight? Has anyone else done
this?

Is this Salix alba? Where I live, this willow is a very well-known landscape
element, since all the branches are cut down every few years (supposedly for
fuel or forage - opinions differ). After several cuts, it develops a very
charakteristic look, you may see it he
http://www.pbase.com/kailash/image/49791043. Whether it is beautiful is of
course a matter of taste Both Salix alba and Salix babylonica respond
quite well to very severe pruning. Ah, yes, the new shoots will grow
straight for one or two years. When they become longer, they assume the
weeping habit

Regards, Barbara.