Old 17-10-2006, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil Jones Neil Jones is offline

Default Maratime Pine. Inrformation required relating to cultivation in Scotland. Thanks

Roger Heatherington wrote:

On 17 Oct 2006 07:01:35 -0700, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

One of my books says the maritime pine grows, as an
introduction, in the Highlands; but none says anything about its
failing to fruit there.

Maybe I shouldn't admit to this but what can they do to me now?
I harvested only the biggest seeds from the cones, about 200 of them.
Over a period of 4 years I planted them out in individual plant pots
around about 20 to 30 at a time, depending on what I had left over
from the previous year (small plant pots). I planted out the following
year in remote inaccessible places all over Scotland in groups of 3, 5
sometimes 1. Most of the ones I have re-visited are growing well. Some
I planted on land just behind the sea shore. All of the sites are
remote well away from paths and roads. I would like to see at least
one fruit before the Grim Reaper decides to harvest me.

I'll certainly visit the gardens mentioned. I still do a lot of
walking and visiting.

Thanks.

Roger.

Words fail me. I am going to try to be diplomatic but this, being generous,
is an extremely unwise course of action. Pinus maritima is a notoriously
invasive plant that has caused trouble all over the world. Sperading it
around could be like spreading Japanese Knotweed, Himalayan Balsam, or
Rhododendron ponticum. You should try to understand things before you try
to meddle with them.

Neil Jones
http://www.butterflyguy.com/