Old 17-10-2006, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes Alan Holmes is offline

Default Where can I get sweetcorn seeds which is not a hybrid?

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
from "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow contains these words:

I must be missing something here but I understood that the

question
orignally asked was about growing corn which, as specified in the
subject line, was non-hybrid??????

Yebbut, sweetcorn (to eat on the cob), not maize corn (to kibble,

or
grind flour).

All corn/maize can be eaten if it is young enough. The problem with
most corns is that they are often eaten too old.

The problem for Alan is in getting any old enough variety of
corn/maize that will come true from saved seed (and there is another
but I'll mention it later). If he's still interested (and he's
probably been scarred off by now :-)) then he would be best to look
for heritage varieties in the US where there is a very active seed
savers groups and I know that heritage corn is one of the things that
they've been saving..

Thanks for that, my daughter is now living in the US, I'll have to try to
remember to ask her if she can get some for me!

Alan