Old 18-10-2006, 05:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Eric Hunt[_1_] Eric Hunt[_1_] is offline

Default Adding a new greenhouse

Ed,

Good luck - sounds exciting!

Many people here in the Bay Area have dropped their greenhouse winter
minimums to 55 from 60 and report a huge cost savings after doing so.

Most Phrags can handle much colder than 60 - in habitat, it can get into the
low 50s. And most Vanda/Ascocenda hybrids with a recent shot of Vanda
coerulea can handle 50-60 nights. Lc. cattleyas, especially if based upon
the Mexican Laelias, like anceps or gouldiana, can usually take down to
freezing no problem if kept dry.

Conversely, the hard-cane Den phalaenopsis type Dendrobiums get REALLY mad
when the nights go below 60 and drop leaves like crazy. Same for Vanilla
planifolia.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"Ed" wrote in message
m...
OK, our 125+ mature orchids are overflowing our attached sunroom, so we
are considering a 10' x 12' polycarbonate greenhouse for the backyard. I
plan to keep my paphs and phrags as well as the Vandas and warm types in
the sunroom, but would like to move my phals, blc, lc, dendrobiums, etc
into the new greenhouse. We will be growing some veggies and other plants
in there as well.

I live in Lexington, Kentucky. Our winters are "fairly" moderate, with
some days in January or February sometimes into the 50's. However, we also
get a LOT of days below freezing, into the teens on occasion. The coldest
days also have the brightest sun. Very little snow, maybe 6-8" a year.
I am probably going to use electric heat as well as heat cables for
propagation trays I have read several greenhouse books, but have found
nothing to pedict heating costs? My target is to keep night temps in the
greenhouse at 60 degrees.

I have no experience with greenhouse culture, so I could use all the
advise the group is willing to share.

Thanks,

Ed