Old 18-10-2006, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara tom&barbara is offline

Default Green tomatoes

Mary Fisher wrote:
The ones from the greenhouse are in a basket gradually ripening, as I've
described elsewhere.

The ones from outside plants were left just one day too late and a very cold
night damaged most of them. I preserved a lot but the rest were showing
patches of mould, some quite large.

So tonight's supper was egg, bacon, mushrooms and fried green tomatoes - no
salt, no sugar, nothing else.

I've heard of this but never had the courage to do it. I thought Spouse
would protest too. But we both enjoyed them! I'll never waste any again!

Mary

Emmmm...'Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistlestop Cafe' comes to mind -
fantastic film that and really funny with a few sad bits. One of my
all time favourites!

I always wondered what they were like to eat as I always thought they
were poisonous. So is it the cooking of them that stops them from
being toxic Mary? I may have to try them next time I grow toms.

Gail