Old 18-10-2006, 08:57 AM posted to aus.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default Water restrictions and gardens

"meeee" wrote in message
snipped good reply
Then get off your butt and do some research. You can still have a
very beautiful and traditional garden but you need to make wise plant
choices and have a very small patch of lawn which may not be a grass
lawn.

Absolutely. I've managed to have great gardens in SE qld, which hasn't had
decent rain for, oh, about 10 years. Still, we are all used to it, and

have
tanks and recycle all water instead of having automated sprinkler systems
galore as all your apparently garden guru neighbours most likely had. I

had
roses, herbs, vegies, the works, all on water bucketed out from washing
machine and bath; as we were buying water at $80 every two weeks, every

drop
was precious. I wasn't the only one, everyone else in the community does
too. Now I live in the tropics, I still use my watering can; a hose just
doesn't feel right. Time you people who've had water while the rest of
australia hasn't adjust your gardening methods, buy some tanks, and get on
with life. Moaning about how sad your dead lawn is and expecting the
government to build bigger dams won't cause rain, and it will evaporate

from
the dams when it does. If you have a tank, you'll be laughing over your
green lush garden while those around you complain. Oh, and learn to mulch.

and if you don't already do it cut your lawn high and mulch the grass back
in to it.

rob