Old 18-10-2006, 09:28 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.rec.gardening
Road_Hog®[_1_] Road_Hog®[_1_] is offline

Default Rotary Petrol Lawnmower

"JP" wrote in message
My mountfield emblem 16 has probably died, having given 20plus years of
service. Not worth spending about £100 on a service ( not a funeral one)
so I'm looking to replace with something similar. Here's the
specification I want.

IT MUST BE
Min. 16inch / 41 cms blade
Self push
and rear roller, NOT 4 WHEEL.

Anyone seen any bargains
One of the cheapest I've seen is a Hayter Spirit £239.

Are you wanting another mower that will give you 20+ years of service or are
you looking for the cheapest roller mower you can find?

If it is the latter then the Spirit is probably the cheapest you'll find
with a roller or there is the slightly larger Mountfield for another £100.
Please don't expect to get even half the service out of these machines that
you did out of the Emblem. Mountfield don't exist as a company anymore, it
is just branded machines from the Italian and Swedish factories and the
roller machines are the continental four wheel machines with the rear wheels
removed and a roller hung on the back.

The Hayter Spirit is a budget machine, with an A-frame alloy body with a
plastic mould on top. You get what you pay for, don't expect it to be as
robust as the Emblem. If you want a machine that is comparable to your old
machine then you need to be looking at either the Hayter Harrier 41 range or
the Honda HRX426 range and expect to pay around £500.