Old 18-10-2006, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John McMillan John McMillan is offline

Default Maratime Pine. Inrformation required relating to cultivation in Scotland. Thanks

In article ,
Neil Jones wrote:

I wonder how many people curse the plonker who introduced Japanese Knotweed.

Well I do for one. But in the next thought I laud the people who
introduced rosa rugosa, potatoes and sedum spectabile.

I'm sure you and John are wealthy enough to spread Wollemi pines around
the banks and braes. (I wonder what that tastes like?)

We might need some financial assistance on this project in the early
stages.
As yet there appear to be no recipes for Wollemi pines. Apparently
the seeds of standard monkey puzzle trees are very tasty though.

Anyway Pinus maritima isn't a noxious weed but is a "useful plant".
Here it is on a page of "Useful Plants of the World
[formerly Listing of Potential New Crops for Australia]"

http://www.newcrops.uq.edu.au/listing/pinusmaritima.htm

About halfway down is a paper which presumably studies p.maritima
amongst others.

Philipson, J. J. (1997). Predicting cone crop potential in conifers by
assessment of developing cone buds and cones. Forestry Oxford 70(1):
87-96. Forestry Commission Res. Div., Northern Res. Stn., Roslin,
Midlothian EH25 9SY, UK

So it looks like Mr/Ms Phillips at Roslin probably knows the answer to
your question.