Old 18-10-2006, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default How to presrve Potatos

Chaudhry Nijjhar wrote:
Hi,

I would like to know how one should preserve the potatoes? Should the soil
be removed altogether or left? Does washing of potatoes make them prune to
rotting?

Definitely don't wash them: as you suggest, it will impair keeping.
Even brushing the soil off too vigorously can damage the skin. Exclude
the slightest trace of light, and store in a dry and cool but
frost-free place with some ventilation. Cardboard boxes inside
cardboard boxes and then covered with more cardboard or old carpet are
what I've always used. If you've got an awful lot of potatoes and a lot
of space, search potato clamp and you'll probably find instructions
for old-style outdoor storage.

--
Mike.