Old 18-10-2006, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G. Nancy G. is offline

Default Wasps in the greenhouse

Mick Fournier wrote:
Nancy,

I hate ants on my orchids. They nurture, tote around and groom scale.

Mick

I'm not saying I encourage ants. Just watch the plants carefully and
remove them (ants) when they appear to become too comfortable while the
plants are outside for the summer. I think preying mantis would be a
better choice than wasps and spiders, which do mechanical damage with
their stings and the undersides of leaves where spiders like to live
and attach webs. The tree frog was cute, but startled me when I
watered.

I really don't want any of them inside my plant room during the winter.
Mantis is my first choice, however, followed by spiders. Wasps may
come in while the door is open, but I don't let them build. Not
allergic, but have been stung a few times in the past. None of them
really last very long after the room is closed for the winter, not
enough for them to eat, I guess.

What kind of wasp are you trying to attract? Some are more aggressive
than others. You may try allowing a small habitat area in your
greenhouse and encourage them to build in it. A wooden bird house or
small box hung high (open on the side or without a floor), a 3"
diameter pipe hung horizontally, or just a board (untreated) where they
can attach a nest. Or possibly a source of nest building material. A
bowl of wet clean clay, small tray of wet newspapers, wet shavings, or
new soft wood. If you watch them to see where and how they build they
are easy to attract.

I Alabama, fire ants were a problem. New to them, I let them surprise
me the first time. It was a quick sprint to the water hose, where I
stripped to my underwear and washed off with a sharp spray. After that
it was all out war. Bait, spray, dig, burn, you name it. Fire ants
are some nasty little *******s. I had 2 acreas, and the surrounding
area was planted fields. A losing battle, but kept them from the area
around the house and yard.