Old 22-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

Default TSP for tool sterilization?

When I was in grad school, I used to use TSPP - tetrasodium pyrophosphate -
for disinfecting tools, as it was readily available through school, as it
was used a lot in clay slips and glazes.

With both chemicals, you need a strong solution and your tools need to soak,
not just be dipped. John is correct though, with the eutrification of
bodies of water due to the high phosphate content, it can be hard to find.
A one ounce per gallon bleach solution is just as good.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com

"John G. Talpa" wrote in message
Trisodium Phosphate

A cleaner that is banned in many areas because of the phosphate.

"Jerry Hoffmeister" wrote in message
.net...
what's TSP?

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
One of our societies more prolific growers uses a TSP solution to

sterilize
tools between cuts. I bought some, and intend to use it, but my

husband
cringed and said it would harm the plants.

What say you all?

Diana