Old 18-10-2006, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams michael adams is offline

Default Fungi ID

"Adam" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
These have appeared in the garden and I wondered should I be worried or
getting the frying pan out?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/fungi.htm

If they smell strongly of radishes, they may well be mycena-pura which
were re-classified as poisonous just before 1975, when my reference
was first published. Apparently mycena-pura come in all colours

including
white as here, although those shown on the web seem to be the more

typical
purple. Mycena Pura grow in humus, organic waste, rotting leaves and
needles
in damp places.

There's a piccy half way down on this rather slow loading page.
The gills are much larger in relation to the size of the disc
but the overall features look the same.

http://popgen.unimaas.nl/~jlindsey/c...asmiaceae.html

Sorry Michael, but are we looking at the same pictures? The pictures of
Mycena pura (at

http://popgen.unimaas.nl/~jlindsey/c...cena.pura.html)
if you want to bypass the slow-loading part of the page) don't look

anything
even remotely like the picture in the OP's website, other than that they
both look like mushrooms.

They're both flat. Not all mushrooms are flat. And parasols only
occassionaly.

The Mycena pura are smaller, have bigger gills, and waxier tops than the
OP's mushrooms, they are a different colour (although as you say, that

isn't
necessarily conclusive), and

probably more importantly they lack the stem ring which the OP's
mushrooms have.

Fair enough, I never paid sufficient attention to that.

michael adams

I'm a little more confident now that they are parasol mushrooms, but still
not confident enough to recommend that anyone eats them without some

further
research.

Adam