Old 19-10-2006, 11:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default Water restrictions and gardens

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day nick,

mmm did post a reply seems to have gotten lost?

anyhow if gardeners have thought it through for this predominately dry
country of ours, they would be nurturing indemic native species very
suited to the gardeners growing conditions. no good trying to grow a
water loving plant in a garden that doesn't get lots of rain, as it is
the same with the aspect of the yard and where gardens are ie.,.
things that need a northern or eastern aspect may not do terribly well
on a western aspect.

but i do applaud those who have let their lawns/garden go to rack and
ruin so to speak, so called weeds are better than nothing just shows
what could be achieved in gardens if a lesson was taken from the
weeds.

and at the end of the day the use of mushroom compost in gardens and
then covered with heaps of usefull mulch eg.,. hay, sugar cane
mulches, the gardens won't dry out as much, and use far less water.
and if garens are planted along the contours and stgructures are set
to trap run off water and put it underground that will bring up the
moisture capacity of the whole yard.

unfortunately on many lawns Len they are dead level, such is the appeal of
manicured grass. If you want rain we'll gladly give you some, it has been
cool and wet this month after a glorious warm and sunny september.

How your garden, is the mushroom compost still going ok? Given its low mix
of NPK my suspicion is that it will be depleted in a growing season with
around 1/2 the nutrients used up. What are your experiences with it long
term? I have used some as a base in a raised bed which has just been planted
with lettuces.

Rob