Old 19-10-2006, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Waterbutts

"michael adams" wrote in message

"cojack" wrote in message
In common with many others I have installed a waterbutt via a
diverter.
This is also ducted into 3 others.
However, I have over several years I have two 210 litre butts
splitting.
What do members think the life of a butt should be?

Colin

Although the plastic used, should be UV resitant, UV light as
found in all normal daylight, will eventually break down
most plastics, turning them brittle. Possibly the butts could
be shielded from direct sunlight in some way. Or it might be
an idea to paint the plastic with some kind of thick opaque
paint which would block out any UV light. In theory, butts
so treated should last almost indefinitely.

Um, that could be why ours have lasted so long, they're all sheltered by
north facing walls. Something I hadn't thought about :-)

Mary

michael adams