Old 20-10-2006, 12:37 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj[_1_] ~ janj[_1_] is offline

Default Making pond from swimming pool

I have an almost never used concrete w/ plaster swimming pool. It was built
in 1989 and is 18,500 gal, kidney shaped 16'x32'. As a diving pool the
deepest section is about 10' and slopes from about 3'. Naturally I am
thinking I could turn this into a pond since the hole and plumbing are
already there. The 10' depth seems a litttle much for a pond and would make
maintinance somewhat of a chore.

What are the pond stars in my eyes hiding? Where am I going to regret ever
thinking of this bizarre idea? Do I fill in the bowl until I have a uniform
3' depth? Do I have to coat the plaster to stop leeching for fish? Are
there any sites that talk about converting existing pools?
Chip

That's what our club president has as her pond, the old swimming pool. She
didn't change anything, same depth, etc. I'm not sure how she does the
filtration though. If she is using the pool infra structure or went with
something else. The problem with swimming pool piping it usually doesn't
have the diameter to handle the muck that ponds produce.... thus clogging
is possible. ~ jan

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium