Old 19-10-2006, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams michael adams is offline

Default Waterbutts

wrote in message
ups.com...
cojack wrote:
In common with many others I have installed a waterbutt via a diverter.
This is also ducted into 3 others.
However, I have over several years I have two 210 litre butts splitting.
What do members think the life of a butt should be?

I won't buy the plain green ones from garden centres: My main one is a
converted chemical drum from the local farm shop. It is glass filled
polythene, and about 10mm thick. It looks a bit like this one:

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/environ...hwaterbutt.jpg
and is the same colour.

Two things destroy water butts: fatique and freezing. Fatigue can be
accelerated by sunlight, and is more rapid in thinner walled butts or
those of a simple structure. Avoid "floppy" ones. The better
purpose-made green ones are conical, rather than barrel shaped, so that
as they freeze the plug of ice merely climbs up without exerting radial
forces on the structure. (the weight, of course, remains the same).

Just as a matter of interest, given that the diameter becomes smaller
towards the top of a cone, how is to possible for the plug of ice to
rise ?

I always imagined conical shaped ones were simply more stable, and
easier to manufacture, being easier to extract from the moulds.

michael adams

www.leics.gov.uk/waterbutt.gif - a sensible shape
http://www.getcomposting.com/thames/index2.htm - ditto, with sensible
prices