Old 19-10-2006, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chaudhry Nijjhar Chaudhry Nijjhar is offline

Default How to presrve Potatos

Many thanks for the suggestions.

Rajinder

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:58:19 +0100, "Gill Matthews"
account I no longer have wrote:

"Chaudhry Nijjhar" wrote in message
Hi,

I would like to know how one should preserve the potatoes? Should the
soil be removed altogether or left? Does washing of potatoes make them
prune to rotting?

Don't wash them only brush the dirt off lightly. Store in the dark below
about 10 0C but not with frost. the place should be dry and well
ventilated.
I use a couple of layers of hessian sacks, which is fairly traditional.
other breathable containers would probably work, but plastic probably
won't

In Yorkshire in the 1940s, when I was a kid, potatoes were stored in
potato clamps, sort of piles covered in straw and then earth AFAIR.
How does that work? There's an engraving here.
http://collection.britishcouncil.org...ection=/theme/
--

Martin