Old 20-10-2006, 04:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes Tomes is offline

Default problem Willow

"Loren via HomeKB.com" u27944@uwe wrote in message
Tree AND Internet knowledge. You people are amazing!

Here's the link

http://www.fotothing.com/Loren/

As it is now dark when I leave for work as well as when I get home, I
wasn't
able to get a good daylight picture of the stump. It is deceiving, but
there
is about 8 inches between the top of the stump and the bottom of the deck.
And the stump is about halfway under the deck. There is about a three foot
cantilever, so the stump is a good distance away fromt the footing.

What you see is about 5 weeks growth.

Nice picture posting. If it were me I would probably pick off all of the
new growth as it buds out of the stump until it finally gives up. This
would mean doing it often. The idea is to not let it get this big, which is
replenishing the roots with its sunlight generated food.

I know that this comment is about different plants, but I do this for big
old multiflora stumps that I cut down and also wild grape vines. Both of
these persist and I keep at them until they give up and rot out after a
couple of years. If I had this problem I would use the same approach and
see how it goes, expecting it to work eventually.
Tomes