Old 20-10-2006, 05:34 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet[_5_] OmManiPadmeOmelet[_5_] is offline

Default Will anoles eat scorpions?

In article ,
"Mike Harris" wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 16:06:19 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
wrote:

To me, all "bugs" are arthropods...

And you would be wrong.

Arthropoda is a Phyllum.

It means "jointed legs".

Which bugs are NOT arthropods?

Well... annelids, as I mentioned - most common as earthworms. Mollusca -
snails and slugs. The imported "land planarian" discussed here a while back
is a platyhelminthe - a flatworm. Some might consider newts to be creepy
crawly slimy and "buglike" - chordata. Nematodes have a phylum of their
own - nematoda. Velvet worms are onchyophorae and I've seen them in Mexico
but I don't think Austin is tropical enough for them.
--
Mike Harris
Austin TX

Annelids, mollusks and Helminthes are not in the Phylum Arthropoda...
They are in a different classification.

Mollusca is a separate phylum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylum_mollusca

So is Phylum Annelida:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annelida

And Phylum Platyhelmenthes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylum_platyhelminthes

And Phylum Nematoda:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylum_nematoda

And Phylum Chordata is most certainly NO relation to Arthropods!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylum_chordata

I'd strongly suggest you take a zoology course.....

;-)

Phyllum Arthropoda are all bugs.
Jointed legged insects and their relatives. Crustaceans etc.

Phyllum is only one step below Kingdom.
It's a pretty broad class of critters and not one of the creatures you
mentioned. Velvet worms are also not arthropods. They are in their own
Phylum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylum_arthropoda

Scorpions are most certainly an Arthropod!!!
They are related to spiders in Class Arachnida.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachnid

Which are in the phylum Arthropoda (arthropods)

I've no idea why you are trying to call those other creatures "bugs".
--
Peace, Om

Remove extra . to validate e-mails.