Old 20-10-2006, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes Alan Holmes is offline

Default Should I have a Health and safety warning on my garden?

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 06:55:19 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Whilst trying to collet all the walnuts which were falling like rain
this
morning, on fell on my head, as councils are stopping people walking
under
conker trees in case conkers fall on their heads, should I refrain from
walking under the walnut?
Alan

In France they are very careful NOT to walk, sit or camp under walnut
trees.
We were going to set up out tent under the big one in our friends garden
(for the shade) but very advised against it. Seems that the branches fall
of
easily as well !

We had a large walnut tree in our garden when I was a kid, Google
Earth shows that it is still there. I don't recall any branches
falling off. When the walnuts fall they are still covered in a green
skin.

Not all the time, mine are falling as pure nuts at the moment, and usually
do, there are a few, not yet developed, which fall within the husk.

I have no recollections of ever having been hit by a falling
walnut,

It is the first time ever that this has happened to me!

Whether it is an omen I do not know!(:-)

on the other hand I have been hit by one of the neighbours
falling apples. Why do people leave fruit on the trees in their
gardens until it rots?

Perhaps, because it is sometimes not easy to pick them all, they could be
out of reach, and as you were hit by some falling, that sounds the most
logical reason.

I'm sure they would be only too happy to let you pick some!

Alan

--

Martin