Old 21-10-2006, 03:44 AM posted to aus.gardens
Tish[_1_] Tish[_1_] is offline

Default Water restrictions and gardens

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 11:39:50 +1000, Terryc
wrote:

[1] How do peeps in Sydney get sheep manure. I keep hearing the greek
gardeners on TVS talking about it. The only source I have (shovel my
own) is 900 kilometres away.

This Sydney peep is unwilling to pay the exhorbitant prices garden
centres charge for sheep poo (having grown up on a sheep property, I
find it offensive to have to pay for the blasted stuff!).
I got around the problem of getting organic matter into our very
depauperate sandstone "soil" by getting onto freecycle and asking for
people with herbivorous pets and a waste disposal problem. I now have
a very satisfactory arrangement with a rabbit breeder whereby she bags
up about a trailer-load of bunny poo mixed with straw and wood
shavings each week and I cart it away and pop it onto my compost heap
and veggie patch (*). Bunny poo is, as far as I can tell, quite low
in nitrogen, so I mix in a pail of dynamic lifter per trailer load and
my garden responds beautifully. It composts down very quickly and
satisfactorily and costs me no more than a few pence in petrol to go
and pick it up.

(*) rabbit poo, like sheep and goat poo, is "cold" - unlikely to burn
plants, so is safe to pop straight onto the veggie patch.

Tish