Old 21-10-2006, 04:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default need a new start

Mike wrote:
"the guy upstairs" wrote in message
news
Hi All,

I have a new (to me) dwelling with a very badly neglected lawn.
Virtually all weeds. Can anyone recommend a site that would point me
to the right direction as to how to get rid of what I have and start
over.

If its all weeds you have a few options to start over:
1) Multiple broadleaf weed controls, then over seeding.

That assumes that the only problem is broadleaf weeds. If the lawn is
in very bad shape, it likely has other weeds and even worse undesirable
grasses that broadlead weed control isn't going to solve. A better
approach is to kill everything using Roundup and then reseed after it's
all dead. That assumes that the topsoil is decent, otherwise it's
time to fix that first.

2) Over seed alone (bad idea)
3) tear up the whole lawn and resod/reseed.

Personally the first option is the cheapest and easiest. But hire someone to
spray the lawn, atleast the first time around, it'll cost you a lot less!

Why would it cost much less to hire someone to spray the lawn?
Weedkiller or glyphosate isn't that expensive. And most places, lawn
care companies aren't interested in one time treatment, nor are they
going to do it on the cheap.