Old 22-10-2006, 01:37 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default these brown eggs ....

I've been puzzled by the uniformly-toned eggs we buy from the supermarket,
and am left wondering whether these are the product of brown/black hens,
or are the product of white hens but dipped in a brown dye bath to satisfy
'changing consumer demands'. The eggs, not the hens. :-)

To assist in solving this, I'd like to hear from people who raise
their own chooks: after you empty the shell and peel off its translucent
white membraneous liner, is the revealed inside surface of the shell the
same brown tone as the outside, or is it white even when the shell's
outside is brown?