Old 22-10-2006, 05:15 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Rhododedrons and clay soil

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:
"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:
I have rhodo that does. But depends on how much clay you are

talking
about. Nothing will grow in pure clay but, yes in clayey

soil.

The clay is not a problem, but the poor drainage that it creates

is
a big problem. Very few plants will grow in pockets in clay soil

that
doesn't drain. They drown. Pond plants will do OK though.

Most
ponds are built with a clay lining. That is how good pure clay

is
preventing water from penetrating. If your soil doesn't retain

water
like that, then it is not a pure clay soil and that is why your

rhodo
is doing well.

One needs moisture to actually have a plant drown
even in pure clay and that is a very rare commodity these days in

half
of the groups to which this question was origianally posted.

Then I doubt they are growing rhododendrons since rhododendrons need
moist well-drained soil. I never found a rhododendron growing in a
desert or prairie.

Australia has had 5 years of continuous drought with about 98% of the
country drought declared, but even then I am growing a rhodo in clayey
soil. Hoses and even watering cans work quite well to supply water.