Old 22-10-2006, 07:13 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terryc Terryc is offline

Default Mulches

Staycalm wrote:
I am putting in my lovely veggie bed this weekend. What are the pros and
cons of using hay, pea straw and sugar cane mulches? I'm interested in
personal experience.

We jusy go with whatever is cheapest. Tend to prefer baled straw or
lucerne as it is chunckier and has more structure, which shelters
emerging seedlings a bit better

The chopped stuff in compressed plastic bags seem too fine and dusty to
me (lucerne). The fine stuff will probably break down faster.