Old 22-10-2006, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Hope springs eternal..............

writes
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

We've had 6 years of continuous drought where 30 year old trees

have
tried to die but been resurrected by 3 days of watering. Last

year
the grasshoppers ate just about everything in the garden

including
stripping the leaves totally off 2 apples.

Now I've just had a killer of a frost as I've just been thinking

it's
time to plant the tomatoes. Thank heavens I stick to the maxim

of
neverplant till I know who won the Melbourne Cup.

The frost killed all the new growth on my buddlia (sp?), has

knocked
new growth on the roses, has done for all the new leaves and

grapes on
at least 100 of the grape vines and killed all the flowers on

most of
my Irises.

Sodding weather. 3 days ago it was aircon in the car because it

was
so hot (over 30C) and last night it was back to fires and the

winter
duvets. Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Never thought of Australia as having frost - ever!

They even have ski resorts. I may be mistaken, but I think the

skiing is
more reliable than in Scotland.

More skiable snow than Switzerland in fact.

Even Queensland has frost.

Parts of it.