Old 22-10-2006, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man Stan The Man is offline

Default UK drought - end in sight

In article
, Farm1
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

"Stan The Man" wrote in message

Fortunately, the advance of water metering presents the water

compnaies
with a dichotomy. If we are brainwashed into using less water, the
water industry gets less revenue from metered properties. Fokestone

&
Dover water company, which lifted its hosepipe ban this month, has a
vested interest in doing so because it announced earlier this year

that
all its customers would be compulsorily metered.

I'm seeking clarification here. Aren't water metres (and thus payment
for water) a standard thing in all city locations or are they just
being introduced across the UK?

Only a couple of small areas in the UK currently are compulsorily
metered - the Isle of Wight and (in process) Folkestone & Dover water
supply area. Domestic properties, that is - all industrial/commercial
properties are metered.

In other areas, anyone can opt to have a meter installed - or the local
water authority can unilaterally install one when a property changes
ownership. All new build homes are metered.

OFWAT says that 28% of UK homes were metered in 2005/6 and forecast
that this would rise to 30% in 2007. The Govt wants everyone to be
metered but is shying away from legislation to enforce it.