Old 22-10-2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
kate kate is offline

Default Passion flower vine gone ape!

Hal wrote:

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 08:42:19 -0500, kate wrote:

Any experience out there?

This is So.Calif coastal.

I'm in TN but since babying the Passion Flower one year, it now comes up
everywhere. The roots send out runners.

Kate - but I still hate to mow it

I'm in Georgia and keep two half barrels with passion flower vines for
larvae food for the gulf fritillary butterfly. It is possible to
starve the roots enough they won't have the energy to emerge next
season. I had that happen a couple times before I got the pots. The
larvae would eat the vine and leave a few sprigs as the frost set in
and caused it to go dormant, but wouldn't leave enough for storing
food energy in the root.

They are often called maypop here and I understand it is because the
underground root may pop up anywhere. I have maypop's all over the
yard this year because of the fruit dropping off in places I didn't
find and the seed producing new plants.

I probably have a different variety from the OP, mine is the wild
variety that is found up the East coast from Florida to Maine.

I discovered the root system when I was transplanting some for a friend.
I was expecting to dig up the root but a few inches down it went
sideways and seemed to continue on forever, perhaps not unlike Trumpet
Vine, which I tried to get started here for years and now sort of regret it.

Kate