Old 22-10-2006, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default UK drought - end in sight

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Stan The Man" wrote
The Isle of Wight provides an interesting test area. When they first
introduced compulsory meeting, water consumption per household dropped
by around 10% on average - but this figure has gone down every year
since so that today, average consumption is only approx 1% less than it
was before metering was imposed.

That could mean that we have more money and are prepared to spend it on
water; or it could mean that the metered water bills were not as scary
as folk had feared; or it could mean that everyone is now accustomed to
using less water.

Maybe it's too cheap?
.........households pay 1.2 pence per cubic meter (Telegraph June 2006)

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/aptrix/ofwat...ndyoumarch2000
says:

Watering a garden: Assuming a hosepipe for one hour uses approximately 540
litres of water: 70p

Jenny

I have had a meter for years but do not need to use it thank goodness, your
1.2p is a typo, the rate in SW area is £1.247 per M3 and that is just the
water charge it costs much more if you are on mains drainage for them to
take it away again( I am not, so I am not sure what it is currently, but it
was twice the cost of the water), so not only are you going to pay a lot
more than 70p for an hours watering you will be paying for them to treat
water that they do not get back.
As to hose pipe bans, we have not had one since the meter was fitted but I
have a letter on file somewhere from SWW stating that any ban would not
apply to metered properties, don't know whether that is still the case , but
would have to agree some clarity would be good as you only have to read the
numerous threads on here all offering different interpretations :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk