Old 22-10-2006, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rhiannon Macfie Miller Rhiannon Macfie Miller is offline

Default Fancy coloured tomatoes

Having been reasonably successful with Alicante tomatoes in my
greenhouse (bar the mould mentioned in another thread) over the past
couple of years, I am thinking of branching out to more exciting
varieties. In all the vegetables I grow I'm particularly fond of
unusual colours, while also looking for a decent taste. So I'm trying
to decide between the following (I don't think I'll have room to grow
them all, as I also plan to grow cape gooseberries and aubergines and
the greenhouse isn't that large):

Tigerella (red with yellow streaks)
Green Zebra (yellow with green streaks)
Black Russian (purple)
White Wonder (white)
Pepino (green with purple streaks, apparently tastes of melon)

Does anyone have experience of any of these? If so, I'd appreciate any
information you have on whether they taste any good, how productive they
are, and how well they are likely to cope with the short season and
lower temperatures engendered by being in Scotland and in a greenhouse
which gets shaded for half the day by a neighbour's tree.

Many thanks

Rhiannon