Old 22-10-2006, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Fancy coloured tomatoes

"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote in message
Having been reasonably successful with Alicante tomatoes in my
greenhouse (bar the mould mentioned in another thread) over the past
couple of years, I am thinking of branching out to more exciting
varieties. In all the vegetables I grow I'm particularly fond of
unusual colours, while also looking for a decent taste. So I'm trying
to decide between the following (I don't think I'll have room to grow
them all, as I also plan to grow cape gooseberries and aubergines and
the greenhouse isn't that large):

Tigerella (red with yellow streaks)

Those are OK but not spectacularly flavourful. The yellow streaks gradually
turned red as the toms ripened but you can still see that they're striped..

Does anyone have experience of any of these? If so, I'd appreciate any
information you have on whether they taste any good, how productive they
are, and how well they are likely to cope with the short season and
lower temperatures engendered by being in Scotland and in a greenhouse
which gets shaded for half the day by a neighbour's tree.

We're in Leeds, Yorkshire and shaded for part of the time. I grew them
outside and in the greenhouse, the greenhouse ones ripened first. There are
still a couple on the plant in the greenhouse.

I grew some small yellow ones which hung like bunches of grapes, if I can
find the ref. I'll post it. They were/are still spectacular!

My favourites of all were Sungold - small orange toms with a wonderful
flavour but which rarely got to the kitchen because they split and I had to
eat them on my way to the house ...

I only grow for flavour.

Mary