Old 22-10-2006, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Green tomatoes

"Jim Jackson" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
The ones from the greenhouse are in a basket gradually ripening, as I've
described elsewhere.

The ones from outside plants were left just one day too late and a very
cold
night damaged most of them. I preserved a lot but the rest were showing
patches of mould, some quite large.

So tonight's supper was egg, bacon, mushrooms and fried green tomatoes -
no
salt, no sugar, nothing else.

I've heard of this but never had the courage to do it. I thought Spouse
would protest too. But we both enjoyed them! I'll never waste any again!

Green Tomato Jam is also very nice. Dunno what prompted me to try - maybe
just a bad ripening year in the 90's, and a glut of them.

Recipe?

Please :-)

There is also Green Tomato Chutney.

Boring. And we don't eat much chutney anyway. This year I made some plum
chutney (to my own, unrepeatable :-( recipe) because a neighbour brought
stones of plums. It's great with a strong chees such as Quicke's Cheddar or
Lincolnshire Poacher.

Mary