Old 22-10-2006, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Lee Lee is offline

Default is there money in orchids?

Keith,
I often sit in the back of these forums quietly. You have written what
many of us dream about! I am at a similiar stage. I wonder if it is
profitable? But I've decided it can be.
Now that the "cash crop" of orchids has become such a big business, it
will be hard to compete with the "big box" stores. Like any product
sold at such establishments, it is nearly impossible to beat their
prices. Why even try? But people do...if it's your passion, if you can
keep a level business head, if you are willing to do what it takes...
I know of some small greenhouse growers, who I'll call "GG". Their
business caters to a local retail market, no wholesaling. They seem to
be doing well hybridizing Phals! Many local residents in our small
community (pop. 25,000) who know about "GG", skip the box stores and
buy at this nice little "GG". Their prices are comparable, often
cheaper. Many of the plants are their own unique hybrids and all are
hardier, having been grown locally. Someone may dispute this but Phals
finished locally generally bloom longer. Plants at a box store could
have been delivered from almost anywhere coming out of the carton in
bloom. Some suffer shock. Many stores end up abusing them.
So I asked these "GG" owners if it was worth it? Like so many other
growers have told me, the gentleman replied, "The only way to make a
million dollars in orchids is to start with two million!" They have had
their business for 15 years and found that the sales basically paid for
their 'hobby'. Worth noting is that they travel to sell orchids only 2
or 3 times a year. And they don't sell online. Their sales are
generated by word of mouth advertising as local retail.
So once again the advice was, "don't quit your day job". Other words of
wisdom I've heard are "When your involvement with orchids changes from
obsession to occupation, you may not like orchids so much".
For the general public, in a broad way, orchids are synonymous with
Phalaenopsis. They are often the "cash" crop due to the short growing
cycle and the long lasting blooms. Many grow Phal's for a low profit
high volume hopefully "bread and butter crop". Along with such orchids,
I have been consistently advised to develop a "niche" market. Paphs,
Miniatures, this genus or that. Specialties sell! To a smaller group of
orchid enthusiasts. If there is less competition, they can command a
premium price.

Keith, you have reached out in this public forum. Perhaps you have
received enough feedback. You've inspired me. May I join you in your
queries? We might ask for replies offline as well.
I do have a four part magazine series on cashing in on the orchids
which I can send you offline. I'd be very interested to hear
suggestions of where the market is headed, looking 5 to 10 years out.
If you had it to do over in these days, what would you do differently?
I realize many might say they would stay out of the orchid business.
Where could you suggest that I invest my efforts in furthering the
species or hybridizing? I have a lab, flask room (75 flasks) and 500
mature/specimen orchids in a greenhouse. However I have access to 10
acres and the "seed" money for a larger operation here in coastal South
Carolina. My niche collection is mostly from the Central and South
American species, but I also have a wide selection of fragrant orchids.
I look forward to more replies here or offline,
Lee Bredeson
leeatmagnoliaclassic.com

Keith Kent wrote:
..........Do you make enough money(profit after running costs) from selling orchids for it to be the only income? .....