Old 22-10-2006, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga Diana Kulaga is offline

Default is there money in orchids?

Keith,

As I am not in the business of selling orchids commercially, I will leave
the business side to those knowledgeable folks who have already commented.
But as far as motivation and happiness, I'm glad to throw in my 2 cents.

If you cannot fathom continuing in your current profession and cannot make
adjustments that will allow you to be happy in it, then at some point you
must make a change. We get one bite at this apple called life, my friend.
Just one go 'round. This is not to say that one ought to go over the falls
in a barrel. Planning is essential, as all have advised. But I am reminded
of a man who once told me how much he hated teaching middle school. When I
asked him why he kept on doing it, he said he only had "eleven years til
retirement". Eleven *years*?? I was speechless. And this is not to mention
that if he hates his job, what good is he to the kids he is purportedly
teaching?

There is a maxim that I hold dear, and which I shared with those who
attended my seminars. Do something you love. Success will follow your
passion, provided you add common sense planning to the passion. Maybe the
something you love will prove to be other than a commercial orchid business;
this I cannot say. But be happy.

Just my philosophical take on the whole issue.

Diana