Old 23-10-2006, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna J Fortuna is offline

Default weirdest spike I have ever seen

This is the weirdest spike I have ever seen: I just discovered that my phal
equestris is in spike and must have been for quite a while without my
noticing it. The spike is under the lowest leaf and it circled back and the
tip of the spike had burrowed into the plant so that it was attached to the
plant's core (or whatever the part of the plant which the leaves are
attached to is called) both at the bottom and at the tip of the spike in a
full circle. I just extracted the spike tip from inside the plant's body and
tried to unfurl it so that it now looks kind of normal and the buds are
finally visible. Has anyone seen anything like that?

I have seen roots that attacked the body of the plant and drilled holes in
leaves, but I had never seen a spike's tip do this sort of thing before.

What's the weirdest spike that you have ever seen? (I think that might make
for an interesting thread.)

Joanna