Old 22-10-2006, 10:49 PM posted to aus.gardens
SG1 SG1 is offline

Default Mulches

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Staycalm" wrote in message
I am putting in my lovely veggie bed this weekend. What are the pros

and
cons of using hay, pea straw and sugar cane mulches? I'm interested

in
personal experience.

I prefer pea straw or lucerne hay as it breaks down into good food for
soil biota after it's done it's job of protecting the soil. I don't
like plain hay - too weedy. Never tried sugar cane. Have used old
leaves too and they work well.

We use sorghum SWMBO got 2 trailer loads yesterday. The bad news was that
she had to get it, as the bales (300kg ea) have broken and so the good
farmer no longer delivers at no charge for delivery or product. It got wet a
few years ago and he could not sell it, but our small gardening community
has been helping by lowering his stocks of it. Also breaks down well and
conditions the soil beaut.
Jim