Old 23-10-2006, 08:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Andrew Andrew is offline

Default Is fluoride in the water toxic?

John,
I only grow a few uniflora crosses but I've found Melbourne tapwater to
be fine for Disa. Andrew

John Varigos wrote:
I am thinking of buying some Disa flasks from a supplier but on visiting the
web page and looking at the cultural information, I note that it says
"Fluoride in the water is thought to be toxic."

Melbourne's water if fluoridated and I have been using it for over 30 years
on my orchids without seemingly any ill effect.

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether there is any truth to this statement
especially for Disas. I'd hate to spend the money on buying the flasks and
having every seedling facing a death sentence as soon as they are deflasked.

--
John
Melbourne, Australia