Old 23-10-2006, 11:09 AM posted to aus.gardens
Terryc Terryc is offline

Default Mulches

wrote:

Your wife gives the rabbits mixo?

Naah names. The golden rule is don't name what you want to eat.

The mixo seems to appear every 5 years. Horrible job to have to wring
their necks. I'd prefer to chloroform them but no one has it locally.

My dad has 5 acres down at manjimup and he has always wanted to
keep rabbits for meat, but I try to discourage him. They really are
charming creatures. I reckon he should eat chickens instead. With
an incubator he could turn them out as fast as rabbits, and they eat
less, and can scrounge for themselves. Besides, I doubt his wife will
eat rabbit.

They are a pretty efficent food to meat converter, plus you can do
things like building rolling cages, etc. You do need to feed them as
much dry as wet, which is a point most people forget.And if you really
want pets, then you start stroking the bunnies from day 2(depends on
friendliness of doe).

Actually, rabbits are naturally a more efficent food converter than
chickens. They also have the advantage of eating a lot more stuff and
not needing expensive feed like chooks.