Old 23-10-2006, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Hope springs eternal..............

"Klara" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote

Angus cattle. And we support far too many kangaroos and feral

pigs.

Cattle - Presumably they need almost as much rainfall as arable, for

the
grazing...

Angus being of good Scots origins seem to cope resonably well here (as
do the Herefords which I prefer but butchers don't for some reason).

There are (sort of) 2 classes of animal farms in Aus. Cattle do
better where rainfall is better (which isn't necessarily arable as you
would know it in the UK - your land is far better in general than
ours - our soils tend to be ancient and depleted). The other land is
generally in wheat/sheep country - hot, dry and inland.

I suppose there's no way you can keep roos out - or only at enormous
cost!

They really can clear a 6 ft fence but they prefer to go under fences
for some reason. I haven't had a problem with them in the garden
since I got rid of one of the big buck males.

But roo meat is supposed to be low in cholesterol...

Yes it is and no signs of visible fat at all but it needs to come from
very young roos and to be thin and quickly cooked and needs a more
skilled cook than I am. I'm not a bad cook but can't do roo meat at
all well.

Are the feral pigs palatable?

Yes I believe so but I've never tried them. Some of them are sold to
Germany where apparently the odd bit of skin and hairs in the
packaging are acceptable as proof that it's from wild pigs.

Daughter's partner has been working as environmental officer on a

mixed
organic farm here - and their boreholes have all had to be extended

this
summer. Fortunately the new willingness to pay a bit more for

organic
kept them going through the current mess.

Good to know that people are prepared to pay for organic food. Our
bore dried up about 3 years ago but we have good dams that luckily
have managed to provide us with water all through the drought.