Old 23-10-2006, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_3_] Sue[_3_] is offline

Default What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote
"Sue" wrote
And I did have a young plant of this one until our very dry summer

this year did for it. Will have to try again next year.
http://www.farmyardnurseries.co.uk/herbac/parahe1.htm

I had thought that the one I had might be a parahebe catarractae -
can't recall now why I thought so but I assume from something I found
on the Web. Mine grows by the side of the driveway in a very dry spot
and it is only watered probably about once a year. It seem to thrive
on dry and doesn't mind our frosts (can get as low as -10C here). I
gave a piece of it to a friend who is a keen gardener and told her to
put in a dry tough positiion. She subsequently saw one the same
growing in another garden in exactly the same position as I described
to her. I've never seent hem for sale though. Must check my Plant
Finder book.

I think my blue one only gave up the ghost because it was small and
newly planted and I probably didn't water it enough to get it
established before our hot, dry spell. The white one does cope with our
dry conditions fairly well. Sometimes it loses leaves and looks a bit
tatty after too much summer drought or an extra cold spell in winter,
but given a haircut when better conditions arrive and it recovers well,
I find.

--
Sue