Old 23-10-2006, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
kate kate is offline

Default Passion flower vine gone ape!

Hal wrote:

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:20:29 -0500, kate wrote:

I discovered the root system when I was transplanting some for a friend.
I was expecting to dig up the root but a few inches down it went
sideways and seemed to continue on forever, perhaps not unlike Trumpet
Vine, which I tried to get started here for years and now sort of regret it.

I dug some out of one of the half barrels a couple times and that
worked better than trying to dig enough root for one that wasn't
confined. It is much easier to plant the seed in a small pot, than
dig root anyway.

I never tried the trumpet vine. I don't know of a butterfly that
needs them and really, I'm glad. The cypress vine on the fence for
hummingbirds is invasive enough.

I've never heard of cypress vine - I'm sure that's a good thing. g

Kate