Old 23-10-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default Green tomatoes

In article t you wrote:
Green Tomato Jam is also very nice. Dunno what prompted me to try - maybe
just a bad ripening year in the 90's, and a glut of them.

Recipe?

Mmmmm now your asking.
I think I just did the usual cook the chopped tomatoes.
When tender and some liquid simmered off, wiegh, and add same weight of
sugar. Then boil until you get a set - sort of. It didn't set well, as I
think tomatos don't have much pectin. So you just thicken it.

Please :-)

Ah glad to see politeness lives :-)

There is also Green Tomato Chutney.

Boring. And we don't eat much chutney anyway.

We do. And Green tom chutney may be mundane, but it can be very nice.

This year I made some plum
chutney (to my own, unrepeatable :-( recipe) because a neighbour brought
stones of plums. It's great with a strong chees such as Quicke's Cheddar or
Lincolnshire Poacher.

Mmmmm.....
Jim