Old 23-10-2006, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam sam is offline

Default Fancy coloured tomatoes

Rhiannon Macfie Miller wrote:
Having been reasonably successful with Alicante tomatoes in my
greenhouse (bar the mould mentioned in another thread) over the past
couple of years, I am thinking of branching out to more exciting
varieties.

Tigerella (red with yellow streaks)
Green Zebra (yellow with green streaks)
Black Russian (purple)
White Wonder (white)
Pepino (green with purple streaks, apparently tastes of melon)

Does anyone have experience of any of these?

Rhiannon

Green Zebra is quite a large tomato with a slightly citrus flavour
A refreshing tomato to eat in the very hot weather.Salads & sandwiches.
Black Russian is a whopper, but soft with a thin skin.
I found it best for cooking e.g.a fryup. Lovely flavour.
Both are heritage tomatoes which grow true to seed.
For best results grow organically using liquid seaweed extract feed.
They deserve it.