Old 23-10-2006, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga Diana Kulaga is offline

Default is there money in orchids?

Bill,

I thought I took care to say that planning is important. I would never go
into business without a plan. Flexiblity needs to be there, but you can't
just jump willy-nilly over a cliff. I certainly didn't mean to imply that a
spread sheet is a waste of time! People have various ways of accomplishing
the planning phase, but I believe that it's crucial.

I didn't read that book you mentioned, LOL! Just my way of looking at life
in general.

Diana

"Bill" wrote in message
oups.com...

Diana Kulaga wrote:
Keith,

As I am not in the business of selling orchids commercially, I will leave
the business side to those knowledgeable folks who have already
commented.
But as far as motivation and happiness, I'm glad to throw in my 2 cents.

If you cannot fathom continuing in your current profession and cannot
make
adjustments that will allow you to be happy in it, then at some point you
must make a change. We get one bite at this apple called life, my friend.
Just one go 'round. This is not to say that one ought to go over the
falls
in a barrel. Planning is essential, as all have advised. But I am
reminded
of a man who once told me how much he hated teaching middle school. When
asked him why he kept on doing it, he said he only had "eleven years til
retirement". Eleven *years*?? I was speechless. And this is not to
mention
that if he hates his job, what good is he to the kids he is purportedly
teaching?

There is a maxim that I hold dear, and which I shared with those who
attended my seminars. Do something you love. Success will follow your
passion, provided you add common sense planning to the passion. Maybe the
something you love will prove to be other than a commercial orchid
business;
this I cannot say. But be happy.

Just my philosophical take on the whole issue.

Diana

Hi Keith, I would say Diana's advice is best-- find a nich is good-- &
the spreadsheet is a waste. Diana said "do what you love success will
follow"-- little plagerism there-- a lady wrote a book named "DO WHAT
YOU LOVE, THE MONEY WILL FOLLOW" she is 1/2 right-- doing what you love
is rewarding but IN ORCHIDS-- the money WON'T FOLLOW. The Chinese &
Taiwonese {same folks I guess} are going to dominate the market with a
$1.00 per plant cost & us small folks will never be able to duplicate
THAT!! Best advice you have gotten is: DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB. There
is a plethora of small growers/Brokers getting into the show part of
the business who are "PRICE CUTTERS" & they are ruining the hobby
market for the growers who try to do it for a living. They seem to
think that if they pay $8.00 for a plant it is profitable to sell it
for 10-12. {they can't even spell spreadsheet} I just did a show in Ft.
Pierce where the "Price cutters" out numbered the serious growers.
Several serious growers said they didn't want to come back under those
circumstances. Bad news is: the "Price Cutters" are destined to go out
of business soon --- then the shows will be bad & the whole deal
collapses. Show chairmen don't want to eliminate the "Price cutters"
as----- guess what???? ---- they buy from them & swear they are getting
a good deal. My advice {worth what you pay for it} is: If you will love
all that is involved in an Orchid Business, then go for it. But if you
expect to make a living wage-- STAY AWAY FROM ORCHIDS. Good news is:
There are very few years when you have to pay income tax { that is
funny, but not a joke}. After all is said & done -- you had better do
your homework before you invest serious $$$$$. Best of luck to you, Bill