Old 24-10-2006, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default UK drought - end in sight

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Snip
There should of course be a national water grid (and I suppose the
existing canals could be its backbone -- I don't know). But there
isn't.

Mike.

Nice thought on the canal system. Unfortunately it's a static system and if
you get it flowing at any decent rate then the bargees will move a bit too
quick in one direction and will never return. Unfortunately the canals are
open sewers and too small to offer any real solution.
As there is no overall shortage of water and it's environmental production
cost is approaching zero then why would anyone be interested in saving the
stuff. I am afraid it's a political issue on which we currently have little
or no say-other than turning the taps on full blast. Socially irresponsible
I hear you cry-but to all intents and purposes that is what happened in this
region during the 95/96 drought, resulting in such a dramatic improvement in
infrastructure that it's seems inconceivable that hosepipe bans could ever
be imposed again.
Yorkshire Water are now hailed as one of the best producers in the UK after
the 95 fiasco all down to the fact that as they pleaded for consumers to
reduce their usage the demand increased.