Old 24-10-2006, 01:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis Emery Davis is offline

Default Acer black fungal branch problem - please help

Hi Zarch,

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:38:06 +0100
Zarch wrote:

As for the reason why, i dont know. The plant has been in the same
location for over a year now so i cant see relocation being an issue.

I thought the rest of the wood looked reasonably healthy in the picture, so
there's every chance to think the plant will survive. Let's hope so,
anyway.

Emery, i dont profess to be any sort of expert on the plant, i was just
going on the name on the tag when i bought it. lol. I got it from
Rhinegold Nursery here in Sheffield. If he's not a Sango-kaku, what is
the poor devil?? ;-)

Many Japanese Maples are mislabeled. This may not be the fault of
the nursery where you bought it, who may just be re-selling in good faith.
Sometimes though, nurseries do sell seedlings as the cultivar. If you don't
find a graft union, this could be the case. Otherwise, identification, like
diagnosis, is notoriously difficult to do from a picture. The leaves do
look like the Sango kaku type, but from the bark I'd almost guess Ao yagi.

Anyway, it's a nice plant, and that's what counts. As to the gender, we
could guess, but it's probably fair to say this little tree is a switch hitter.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom