Old 24-10-2006, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Garden shed on lawn

On 23 Oct 2006 01:52:42 -0700, JB wrote:
I would like to get a smallish garden shed (8' by 6' for example) for
general garden storage, i.e. lawnmower and other garden tools. What I
want to know is can I just place this directly on the lawn (the lawn is
flat), or do I need foundations of some kind? I live in the North East
of Engalnd if this is applicable.

I'd put a shed on a foundation of some sort... concrete, wooden sled base,
rock... something. It'll help the longevity of the shed and things
stored therein. You'll also want to think about ventilation and security.

In most areas of the country, you'll need a building permit for a shed
of above a certain size (8x10 in my county). If you haven't built anything
before, you're going to want some experienced help or some good books.
Most public libraries have a sslection of books on storage sheds and
similar outbuildings; the extension service in your state or in other
states often has some pretty good plans, too, as do lumberyards.
Here are some extension service building plans from North Dakota, to give
you an idea of what's available:
http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/abeng/miscplans.htm

Take a look at the vegetable stand for plans of a shed on skids
(sled base) as an example of something that could go "directly on the lawn".

Kay