Old 24-10-2006, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning Stephen Henning is offline

Default Garden shed on lawn

JB wrote:
I would like to get a smallish garden shed (8' by 6' for example) for
general garden storage, i.e. lawnmower and other garden tools. What I
want to know is can I just place this directly on the lawn (the lawn is
flat), or do I need foundations of some kind? I live in the North East
of Engalnd if this is applicable.

Don't use a foundation or cinder blocks. A foundation goes all around
and you want ventilation. Cinder blocks are made from cinders from coal
fires and you want concrete pillars which don't use cinders and have
solid bottoms so they don't settle. (If a cement block is set on it's
side, it looses it strength.) The manufacturer of the shed usually
recommends something depending upon the height they want. Usually solid
4" x 8" x 16" concrete blocks are sufficient. This allows ventillation
under the shed.

Here is a good description of how to prepare the site for a storage shed
from the manufacturer of "Amish Storage Sheds" in Pennsylvania:

http://www.pastoragesheds.com/site-preparation.asp

They recommend using a base of 3/4" crushed blue stone for the shed,
2-3" deep, 1' larger than the size of the shed. Crushed stone provides
better drainage for rain or snow melt around the perimeter of the shed,
especially if no gutters will be installed on the shed. Water that
splashes directly onto the ground will eventually create a muddy area
that will splash up onto the shed walls.

* To prepare a gravel base, remove the sod from an area slightly
larger than the shed, level the site by removing dirt where necessary,
and spread the gravel to a depth of about three inches. Tamp the gravel
down with a piece of 4-by-4 or metal tamper until it is evenly
distributed and the site is flat and level.

* An outer "frame" of pressure-treated 4x4's or cement block will
help keep the stone in place and create a neater appearance; however, it
is not required

* Cement pillars, with or without tie-downs, are required by some
municipalities. Check local regulations for quantity and recommended
placement. OR use a concrete slab - 3-4" thick.

They specifically state to not use "cinder blocks".

They explain how to install anchors to keep it from blowing away.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman