Old 24-10-2006, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson Susan Erickson is offline

Default Society Dues

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:33:51 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

I'm hearing a range of $20-$25 for a single membership as I ask around.
Danny, I answered you yesterday, but I don't see it here. Anyhow, we, too,
depend mainly on shows, raffles, etc to cover costs. Dues will never handle
it.

Our Dues are 20 single - 30 household. Note the definition.
It pays basically only for the "Christmas plant" that each member is
entitled to take home from the Annual meeting (potluck dinner) in
December. As treasurer we tried to make fund raisers work, but most
of the society think the Summer Event is to break even. Our spring
show is our big money raiser. We are the vendor for all the plants
sold. The local grower now contracts to supply the same type of
plants (beginner & showier phals in bloom) for the price we were
paying the Hawaiian growers. He thus gets his label with his address
and phone into more homes. He brings in the plants earlier so they
have less "travel fatigue" and takes back any over stock so we can
have more and not discount Sunday afternoon's sales.
Meeting raffles hardly ever break even.
Our Honorary memberships are board designated and go to old long time
members.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids