Old 25-10-2006, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default What plants would you take with you if you moved house.....

Farm1 writes
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Farm1
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

No, mine still doesn't have a scent

:-)) I've enjoyed this exchange. People always think I'm odd when

say that I don't like either camellias or tulips. Apparently I

should
know that it's compulsory to like these plants.

Ah but I love Salvias and oh yes, Jasmine which someone I know

thinks
smells absolutely awful!
I wonder if there's ever been a psychoanalysis of which plants/types

of
garden you like and whether this reveals a lot about your own
personality?

I find yellow and orange plants disconcerting, love cottagey plants

but
tropical stuff never appeals.

:-)) I think it was Hardy Amies (Queen's dressmaker) who said that
orange in roses was vulgar. I love orangey coloured Calendulas but am
not fond of orange roses. And I don't like tropical looking plants in
temperate gardens but would if I lived in the tropics.

I find my taste changes with season. In spring, fresh yellows. Cool
pinks and mauves in summer, then warm oranges and reds in autumn, to
tone in with the autumn leaves and ripening fruit. So an orange rose is
garish and out of place, whereas orange calendulas are good ;-)

--
Kay